Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Book Review: The Diviners

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Publisher: Little Brown Books, Sept 2012
Number of Pages: Hardcover, 592 Pages

Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Horror, Mystery, Crime Drama, Ghosts, Urban Fantasy


Plot: Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.
(Goodreads.com)


Personal Thoughts: This book actually took my by surprise and made me fall in love with the 1920's all over again! It's probably one of my favorite decades, so having a book based in that time including teen romance and the supernatural is amazing! I love this book, and Libba Bray!

Honestly, the plot of the book hooked me and is what made me keep reading but the first few chapters started off a little slow for me. But once I got into the meat of the story, I could relate to Evie and even wanted to be like her a little bit! She has so much enthusiasm and spunk! She is still a naive teenager but that makes the story so much more interesting... she gets in trouble a lot and learns a lot along the way... encountering other people with powers like hers...

I like the way this book introduced the series, there will obviously be more books to follow by the way it ended... but I also liked how this first book tied itself up in a nice little bow too! All of the characters struck me as interesting and I want to know more about them... but Jericho and Evie are my favorites! I loved how all the story lines entwined together and how so many people are connected in ways that I didn't see coming.

I’ve never been so frightened by a villain in literature in a really long time! Naughty John’s little song made me shiver: "Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells 'em off for a coupla stones."




Recommended Age Level: 15+

Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Reviews/Awards:


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...