Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Review: City of Bones

Title: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books, April 2009
Number of Pages: Kindle Edition, 512 Pages

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Teen, Paranormal Romance, Demons, Angels, Vampires, Werewolves,

Plot:  
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . .
(Goodreads.com)

Personal Thoughts: This one was on my 'to read' list for a long time... mostly by recommendation from my cousin Kim. I only decided to pick it up recently because of the movie coming out next month. I was actually surprised how much I liked the book - it's going to be yet another series I read over and over again because it's just that good. I have really enjoyed learning my way around Clare's world of Shadowhunting. It took me a while to get used to some of her terminology but the characters are so lovable, I latched onto them quickly.

I'd actually read a lot of negative reviews on Goodreads about this book before picking it up, trying to give myself a chance to see how I liked it on my own. I went into it with an open mind and feel in love with the world that author has created and Jace is now very close to my heart... he's emotional and broody but tries to remain strong in his feelings for Clary. For some reason I was drawn to him!


Recommended Age Level: 13+

Rating: 4 out of 5
Reviews/Awards:

South Caroline Book Award Nominee for YA Book Award 2010
ALA Teens' Top Ten 2008
Georgia Peach Honor Book Award 2009
Abraham Lincoln Award 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...