Friday, June 3, 2011

On Being a Mom...

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever
to have
your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone



My life has changed forever. Nothing will ever be the same again.

You'd think I wouldn't be happy about that... but I am.

Being a Mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I seriously am glad that I feel this way and that my son makes me so happy! Some people talked to me about postpartum depression while I was still pregnant - the signs and how to cope after my son was here. I'm glad that they did, but I don't know how I could ever NOT be happy about having my son in my life.

My pregnancy went pretty smoothly and I'm glad. I didn't have the expected emotional up and downs to the point of breakdown nor did I drive my husband crazy all night long with cravings that would make him cringe with disgust.

Back to my point... the little man that my husband and I created together has not only warmed my heart and taken over my life - he's also allowed me to love more than I thought possible. It was weird, I thought that having my son come into my life would take love or attention away from my family or my husband. He hasn't - he's just added another section of his own to my heart that belongs only to him! I know one day when he's older, I'm sure he will break my heart, but I will always love him, no matter what. He's one of my only reasons to exist now and I love having all my time to spend with him.

I also thought I would be resentful for all the time and help my husband wouldn't be able to give once he went back to work... but I'm not. I love all the one on one time I get with Ryan and I know that my husband wishes he were here with us, and not having to be out in the world making the big bucks to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads! (Side note: I do have a job lined up for August until May of next year. I will be keeping my best friend's two year old here at the house with Ryan and myself. It should make things very interesting! I am looking forward to it and to our boys being friends as Ryan gets older.)


4 comments:

  1. There is truly nothing like it! It is amazing! And it is great to be able to stay home with them! :)

    And, yes it will be interesting with a 2 year old and Ryan. I did it around the same time you will be, Lucas was the same age Ryan will be. It is challenging at times, but you will be fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mandy, the good thing is my friend is going to try to potty train him this summer while she's at home with him herself - so that would be a HUGE help for me. The plus side is her son loves me to death and is comfortable here at my house already as well. We just have to get him used to being around Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! Him being potty trained will make a world of difference! My cousin wasnt and it is one thing to change your own baby's diapers, but totally different to change a 3 year old! Haha! But if he is already used to you, you should be great! A little helper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes ma'am. I think it will go well, he's used to being around me and we are working on him getting used to being around Ryan as well. He's expressed a little jealously towards my son, even with me, but mostly with him Mom. (:

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...