Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Five Love Languages

It’s time to talk the language of love. I read this book years ago when it first came out. I’ve wanted to re-read it since I got married, so that I can get a better handle on my husband and myself. Knowing your partner’s and your own love language can help make your relationship so much stronger. It can help you communicate better and it can also help you love deeper. I really do suggest this book by Gary Chapman for anyone that wants to better their relationship, or just want to learn some more about how they love and how they need to be loved.



Here is a basic explanation of all five languages:

1. Words of Affirmation: Sometimes, actions really don’t speak louder than words. This is your language if compliments and “good job” comments mean the word to you. Hearing the words “I love you” from your partner means everything – but hearing them tell you why they love you means even more. You are sensitive to insults and tend to remember the hurtful words for years to come.
2. Quality Time: Nothing says ‘I love you’ to this person more than their partner’s undivided attention. Being there with this person is important, but being there undistracted – no tv, music, video games – means even more. It’s hurtful to this person if you postpone dates, forget important events such as birthdays or fail to listen when they are talking.
3. Receiving Gifts: Don’t mistake this for materialism, this type of person thrives on the thought and love behind a gift, more than the gift itself. The ‘perfect gift’ for this person shows that they are known, loved and cared for. A missed birthday or anniversary can be devastating and a thoughtless gift would break their heart, so would the absence of everyday gestures.
4. Acts of Service: Can swapping out the laundry or taking out the trash be a gesture of love? Sure! Anything to ease the burden of some responsibility speaks volumes to this person. The words they want to hear is “Let me do that for you”. Laziness and broken commitments tell this person that their feelings don’t matter.
5. Physical Touch: This isn’t all about touch behind closed doors – it’s about a hand on the back while walking through a store, or holding hands during a movie. These are all ways to show care, concern and excitement in the relationship. Neglect and abuse are destructive in this partnership.

So, which language do you speak? What about your partner? Go to Gary Chapman's site to take an assessment to find out your love language!!
____________________________________________

My scores on the assessment were:

8 Words of Affirmation
10 Quality Time
1 Receiving Gifts
6 Acts of Service
5 Physical Touch

So, as you can see... my top two languages are Words and Time. The assessment is a series of statements that you choose which best applies to you or your relationship. I love spending time with my husband, but I also love hearing him tell me how good I look in an outfit or that he loves me. It's as simple as that!

What's your love language??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...