Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Book Recommendation: Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Genre: Young Adult/Teen
Pages: 
288
Themes: Physical/Mental Illness, Eating Disorders

Summary: “Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.


Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Review: I personally have read EVERYTHING that this author has written, and I love all her books! They are all about teen girls, much like Sarah Dessen's books. Every book touches on the HOT teen issues and problems in today's society! The need to be skinny, popular and other hot button issues in today's high schools.

This particular book was hard for me to read, and I found myself tearing up for most of it! The teasing and the disorders - Lia's emotions hit me kind of hard and I felt like I could actually FEEL her pain and misery in this book. I suggest it to anyone who can handle reading about this kind of thing. Some people can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...